The Ohio Housing Finance Agency's (OHFA) Ohio Heroes rewards Ohio residents who serve the public with a discounted mortgage interest rate.
Am I Eligible?
You may qualify for an OHFA homebuyer program if you meet the criteria listed below:
- You meet income and purchase price limits.
- You meet debt to income ratios for your loan type.
- You meet the credit score requirements.
- Conventional, USDA and VA Loans: 640 or higher
- FHA Loans: 650 or higher
- You work in one of the following careers:
- Veterans, active duty military members or members of reserve components (including surviving spouses)
- Police officers, firefighters, volunteer firefighters, EMTs and paramedics
- Physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses (RN and LPN) and STNAs
- Teachers (pre-K through grade 12), administrators and counselors
You can choose to include down payment assistance in your Ohio Heroes loan.
* Please view a complete list of eligibility criteria.
Qualified buyers are required to complete free homebuyer education. OHFA's streamlined education program allows you to complete a course offered by any U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved counseling agency in Ohio. Please note, OHFA homebuyer education is not completed until after homebuyer has submitted their loan application with their loan officer. Homebuyer Education is not required for borrowers who are only registered for our MTC Basic program.
Free Homeowner Resources
Qualified buyers will be eligible to join Power of Home, a new program that provides free homeowner resources through the Framework® platform. New tools and resources will be available to help you manage, maintain and build equity in your home.
When you sign up, you will be able to:
- Explore homeowner resources to manage your home investment.
- Access an affordable loan for home repairs, improvement, and modifications from Huntington®.
- Meet your financial goals with free financial coaching and counseling services to reduce your debt and more from Apprisen.
- Search over 250 local home maintenance, energy assistance grant, and loan programs.
- Receive a $25 gift card for participating in the research study with The Ohio State University.
You'll also have the opportunity to test new features and participate in a research study with The Ohio State University when you complete the homebuyer education.
How Do I Apply?
OHFA works with lenders, credit unions and mortgage companies across the state. Find an OHFA-approved lender in your area, along with tips to help you with the application process, or call us toll-free at 888.362.6432.