The Ohio Housing Finance Agency's (OHFA) Ohio Heroes rewards Ohio residents who serve the public with a discounted mortgage interest rate.
Am I Eligible?
You may qualify for an OHFA homebuyer program if you meet the criteria listed below:
- You meet income and purchase price limits.
- You meet debt to income ratios for your loan type.
- You meet the credit score requirements.
- Conventional, USDA, VA and FHA 203(k) Loans: 640 or higher
- FHA Loans (Non-203(k)): 660 or higher. Credit scores of 650-659 are acceptable for an additional fee.
- You work in one of the following careers:
- Veterans, active duty military members or members of reserve components (including surviving spouses)
- Police officers, firefighters, volunteer firefighters, EMTs and paramedics
- Physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses (RN and LPN) and STNAs
- Teachers (pre-K through grade 12), administrators and counselors
You can choose to include down payment assistance in your Ohio Heroes loan.
* Please view a complete list of eligibility criteria.
Qualified buyers are required to complete free homebuyer education. OHFA's streamlined education program allows you to complete a course offered by any U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved counseling agency in Ohio. Please note, OHFA homebuyer education is not completed until after homebuyer has submitted their loan application with their loan officer. Homebuyer Education is not required for borrowers who are only registered for our MTC Basic program.
How Do I Apply?
OHFA works with lenders, credit unions and mortgage companies across the state. Find an OHFA-approved lender in your area, along with tips to help you with the application process, or call us toll-free at 888.362.6432.