OHFA's Next Home program provides 30-year, fixed-rate mortgages to those who are not first-time homebuyers. Available loans include conventional, FHA, VA and USDA-RD government loans.
Homebuyers are able to couple Next Home with 2.5% YourChoice! Down Payment Assistance. Homebuyers are not required to use these down payment assistance products if they have their own down payment funds.
Am I Eligible?
You may qualify for an OHFA homebuyer program if you meet the criteria listed below:
- You must meet income and purchase price limits.
- You meet debt to income ratios for your loan type.
- You must meet credit score requirements. Credit score requirements may be higher for different loan types. Please check with your lender for specific requirements.
- Conventional, USDA and VA Loans: 640 or higher
- FHA Loans: 650 or higher
- The home will serve as your primary residence.
- You will occupy the property within 60 days of closing.
Note: If you continue to own your current home, it may affect your income eligibility.
Qualified buyers are required to complete free homebuyer education. OHFA's streamlined education program allows you to complete a course offered by any U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved counseling agency in Ohio. Please note, OHFA homebuyer education is not completed until after homebuyer has submitted their loan application with their loan officer. Homebuyer Education is not required for borrowers who are only registered for our MTC Basic program.
Free Homeowner Resources
Qualified buyers will be eligible to join Power of Home, a new program that provides free homeowner resources through the Framework® platform. New tools and resources will be available to help you manage, maintain and build equity in your home.
When you sign up, you will be able to:
- Explore homeowner resources to manage your home investment.
- Access an affordable loan for home repairs, improvement, and modifications from Huntington®.
- Meet your financial goals with free financial coaching and counseling services to reduce your debt and more from Apprisen.
- Search over 250 local home maintenance, energy assistance grant, and loan programs.
- Receive a $25 gift card for participating in the research study with The Ohio State University.
You'll also have the opportunity to test new features and participate in a research study with The Ohio State University when you complete the homebuyer education.
How Do I Apply?
OHFA works with lenders, credit unions and mortgage companies across the state. Find an OHFA-approved lender in your area, along with tips to help you with the application process, or call us toll-free at 888.362.6432.